Thursday, May 17, 2012

Review- The Singer Chainstitch Sewing Machine For Kids

My 10 year old wanted to learn how to use a sewing machine, but was a little scared to use my big sewing machine. So when I noticed this cute little sewing machine with a clear guard around the needle I thought I found just the thing for her. But to my and her dismay it ended up being another bad crafting purchase. We took it out of the box and started it up I showed her how to thread it, how to use it and then let her start her creative endeavors. I walked out of the room and heard "MOM it is not working". So I check and the stitch was so loose I was not holding the fabric together. I tried adjusting the tension and all was good. I few minutes later the same thing... And then again. At this point I am annoyed. But having to repeatedly adjust the tension is not the worse thing. After about 20 minutes some thing else went wrong. Maybe the needles timing? But the needle just stopped going all the way down. I have been sewing for years and on different sewing machines and never had I had so much problems with a machine. To say the least I returned it, got my $30 dollars back and picked her up a small but real sewing machine. A White Sew E-Z Mini Portable Sewing Machine and have had no problems with it and it cost me the same price.

I do not recommend this product. It is poorly/cheaply put together. I have always liked the Singer Products but this has made me question what they are willing to put their name on. My daughter was very discouraged and I was stressed out by the need to return and purchase another product.


2 comments:

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

This is really helpful. I got a sewing machine for Christmas last year, but it's about as old as I am and every few minutes something goes wrong with the bobbin. I think the tension just doesn't hold very well anymore, and I'm on the lookout for a cheap machine to replace it. I'll keep the good one you mentioned in mind!

Chrissy-jo said...

I have a heavy duty singer that I got for Christmas a few years ago. It was a replacement for my very old one that was from my grandmother. I have not had a problem with it. If you plan on giving it a lot of use or using heavy material often the white EZ might be to small. But it is a great beginner machine for anyone that does not want to invest to much money to start.

Pin It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...