Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday Feature- Miri Textiles



Describe yourself in 3 sentences. I'm a single mother, artist, and archaeologist. My life has been very weird and fun so far. I become emotional over beautiful fabrics!

How did you name your business?: My business is named Miri Textiles for several reasons. Miri means "lark" in Welsh. Larks weave nests in the grass for their young, so to me they represent the internal impulse to create textiles, which is ancient, maternal, artistic, creative, generous, and communal. I wrote a book about Welsh prehistoric monuments, and while I was doing my fieldwork I became familiar with the larks. They perch silently on a stem and then suddenly fly straight up, twittering this amazing song, and then drop down just as suddenly into the grass. They reminded me of my beautiful husband who was lost to us in 2000. Miri means a lot to me.
Tribal Scarf Bohemian Red Gold Blue White Cotton

How long have you been doing your art/craft for? I've been doing this particular craft for about a year.

What inspires and influences your work? Tradition, prehistoric art, neurology, women, community, New Mexico, New Orleans, lots of things! I am most compelled by the act of weaving itself and its connection to human evolution and social behaviours. I am fascinated by the traditional motifs and techniques. I am also interested in creating a global network of single mothers who are brought together by cultural textiles.
Silk Sarong Purple Wrap Scarf

Where can you artwork/pieces be found? My pieces can be found in my home and on Etsy right now!
Etsy shop Miri Textiles


 What do you do when your not creating? Chasing a 3-year old boy around and around and around. And hugging him. And kissing him.

What is your favorite piece(s) that you have created? My favorite piece is a wall hanging created from a vintage silk kantha sari. Kantha saris are made in northern India. Women hand embroider these incredible, colorful motifs on a ground of silk sari. They are elegant and rustic at once. The sari I chose has horses and fire-wheels all over it. Amazing and glorious thing.
Wall Hanging Silk Kantha with Hand Embroidered
 Horses & Fire Wheels

Why did you create this piece(s)? I created this piece because I was so entranced by the embroidery that I wanted to look at it on my wall. My bedroom is very womb/cavelike. Red walls, an enormous suzani, sari drapes, and a huge reproduction of the deer and bison in the Lascaux cave. It's all womanly and ancient.

What do you feel is special about your art/craft? The most amazing thing about what I do is the connection with the past and the connection with the women of other cultures that happens when I touch the fabrics. Just knowing that someone sat down and made this by hand and wore it with love and pride and finally parted with it to make money for their families is very emotional for me. I feel honored to touch the silks and work on them. I feel a sense of great peace when I'm sewing a piece.

Are there other forms of art and crafts you would like to learn? And why? I'm a musician already, and have been sewing for so many years. I think now I'd like to learn weaving!


Silk Scarf Vintage Sari Teal Gold Pink

1 comment:

Miri boheme said...

Wow! This looks so nice. Thank you!!!

Pin It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...