Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday Feature- Blueberry Bay Designs


Blueberry Bay Designs

Casual, comfy textile items handmade by me for you!


Describe yourself in 3 sentences.
I'm a fabric-a-holic. I love to see people smile. I love my life!


How did you name your business?
I was born and raised in Nova Scotia but for about 25 years I lived in other places across Canada.  When I created my Etsy store I was living in Ontario and so I decided to recognize my Bluenose roots by naming my shop after a small but beautiful village on the south shore of Nova Scotia called Blueberry Bay.



How long have you been doing your art/craft for? I've always loved fabric - so many colors and texture. I've been sewing since I was a kid. I started out making "Barbie" clothes for my "Midge" doll - I guess we couldn't afford a real Barbie :-) Then  I moved on to creating my own clothes. For a bunch of years while I was working 9-5, I was less productive but no longer. I'm now retired and back to building my fabric stash!
Over the Shoulder Navy Blue, Green and White


What inspires and influences your work?Oh, finding just the right fabrics in just the right combination for whatever piece you are in the modd to crete. I spend hours in my local fabric stores and looking in online stores. I prefer to work with cotton - it's causal and durable - but have been thinking more lately about recyclig and upcycling. Have to wait and see ho that works in to my future pieces. I get a charge out of creating something new and if someone else loves it too, that's even better.


Where can your artwork/pieces be found?My pieces can be found in my Etsy Shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/BlueberryBayDesigns
I'm also on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/BlueberryBayDesigns
I sell in a few shops across Nova Scotia and  do a few craft shows every year. My next venture is the East Coast Momms Collection Show on June 24 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. They are a great group - check them out  http://eastcoastmommacollective.com/

Cotton Mini Tote Shoulder Bag Red and Orange


What do you do when your not creating?
I just moved to a new house with a great yard so am spending alot of time outdoors. Planted a veggie garden which I am really excited about. I also work on my family's genealogy when I have time. And there is never enoguh of that :-)



What is your favorite piece(s) that you have created?I usually say that my favorite piece is the one I'm currently working on howeverof the things I have for sale in my shop, this is my current favorite 
Messenger Bag  Upcycled  Recycled Red, Blue, Black & Purple Plaid Hippie Cross Body w/Fringe
Why did you create this piece(s)?
The piece makes me feel very sentimental. It is created from an old midi skirt that I have been dragging around for years. It was no longer in style and was not very flattering (I'm short and stout so midi length is not the best for me) but I just couldn't throw it away. Instead I decided to upcycle it into a messenger bag. Hopefully it will have a new life with someone else.


What do you feel is special about your art/craft?All my pieces are one of a kind handmade by me !


Are there other forms of art and crafts you would like to learn? And why?Well I am actually a photographer too. My other Etsy shop is http://www.etsy.com/shop/BlueberryBayPhotos
I also have been trying to make my own stamps and would like to try embroidery - maybe add them to my fabric pieces in the future.
Cotton Wallet Sixties Style Geometric Design in Blue, Green & White
 


1 comment:

ChatterBlossom said...

Yay for feature friday! I just did my first one on my blog too. What a fun shop to feature too. You did a great job. I didn't think to do a question/answer format, but it was neat to see yours! ;-)

Pin It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...